Frequently Asked Questions
It’s Best to Arrive EARLY to class.
We cover a LOT .:)
- Singles WELCOME! Come one, come all!
- If you do not have a partner, no problem! We will be rotating partners as normal.
- If you want to stick with your partner, no problem!
We LOVE our couples! .:)
- We also have a FREE Partner Search program! Check it out!
- We want to remain flexible and make your dancing experience as comfortable and fun as possible.
– Do you accept “walk ins” as it relates to a beginner learning Salsa?
Yes! Although we prefer you to register online in advance (to avoid the relatively long registration process), we TOTALLY accept walk-ins!
Yes! We have several instructors that teach several classes at the same time in the same room, each has their own focus group. We teach from basic beginners “Two Left Feet” to highly advanced. We use a progressive System of advancement much like Martial Arts. So day one, you would come in as a “White Belt”. After you’ve mastered White Belt, you move on to Orange Belt and so on. The details are here: https://blackbeltdance.com/student-levels/
– What are the existing rules for Salsa as it relates to COVID?*
Please join us, whether you are vaccinated or not.
Not only do we NOT discriminate against race, creed, nor color, but we also DO NOT DISCRIMINATE if you’ve been vaccinated or not.
We operate as normal, as our studio holds 750 people, and we are now allowed to operate at 100% capacity.
However, if you feel you must wear a mask, by all means please do so. We respect your beliefs and feelings.
At the door, you may ask us to take your temperature reading, provide touchless hand-sanitizers, and also provide latex rubber gloves as an option for you and your family, if you do not want to touch many different partner’s hands.
If you are running a temperature, we kindly ask that you come back when you feel better.
- If you have a special occasion, or want to surprise your partner, we offer Wine & Cheese private lessons for that special occasion.
- Your school sensei, Edie, The Salsa FREAK also teaches privates as well.
– How many people usually attend each class?
In year’s past, (pre-COVID) we have had about 90 people in our studio during Salsa group classes. We have nine different focus groups running with nine different instructors at every level. We have no idea what our numbers will be now, post-COVID.
Since we are a school that teaches World Class partner dance techniques, you will be introduced to our methods of teaching on day ONE. You may already know a lot of moves, and have years of experience, but your form, your hand holds, footwork, posture etc may need a bit of help. We cover all of this briefly at Orientation (Fundamentals Day 1). This takes approximately 20 minutes. After that, the school Sensei will test you for about one minute, and will place you at the appropriate focus group.
- Connect with someone in your focus group – ask if they’d like to practice off-line
- Connect with an Instructor and ask if you can practice with them in a private lesson
- Convince a friend or family member to join you so you can practice off-line together!
- Join our Apprentice Team! They are ALWAYS ready to PRACTICE!